Sunday, September 27, 2009

I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike.

A month ago Bossman gave me an Ovation Award which I turned into $300 worth of Target gift cards. I've been hemming and hawing over how to use those cards -- a self-cleaning catbox, a small HDTV plus DVD/VCR for the craft room, yet another iPod -- for a couple of weeks, and this morning inspiration finally struck. I was complaining to Scott about how out of shape and unhappy I am and he told me about how he'd been "playing" at the gym, rather than slogging along on machine after machine. I flashed back to something a friend posted a while ago about framing exercise as "play". And so, I used that $300 for a new bicycle.

It's a multi-speed, sea green Schwinn I've named C.C. Because the afternoon was so gorgeous, I told Scott I was go bike riding when we got home from running errands. He pulled his bike out of the basement, cleaned it up and rode with me. Now, I'm terribly out of shape and haven't been on a real bike in over ten years. The going on the W&OD trail was slow (and pretty tedious for Scott) and I begged for a rest break at the Church Road overpass, which is also where we turned around. So, I guess we got about a mile and a half for our first ride together.

We're going to take the bikes back out again this week so they're hanging out in the kitchen. Scott tells me this now makes us poster children for REI.

No comments:

Post a Comment