Friday, May 27, 2011

Diggy-dum diggy-dum

Biking to work was exactly as wonderful as I'd imagined it would be. I didn't imagine the sticky humidity, though, but I was out the door (6:45am) before the sun had fully risen and at least I didn't get baked while steaming.

Yes, 6:45am. I know. It's unheard of for me to be not only awake but also functional at that horrific hour. I was actually awake an hour earlier to answer nature's call and was unable to go back to sleep. I played with the cats for a bit, chatted with Scott as he got ready for work, and then decided to get my own booty in gear to beat the sun and rush hour traffic. Of course, being the start of a holiday weekend, traffic was nearly non-existent at that time of day and I did not have to play human Frogger during the last mile of my commute. There was hardly any traffic on the trail as well. Two people with dogs, two joggers, two walkers, and a handful of bikers all heading eastbound. I discovered that I can coast from Rte 28 all the way to Pacific thanks to the steepness of the Rte 28 bridge. Of course, going back home will be awful because it's pretty much all uphill and the sun and temperature will be at their respective zeniths. Actually, it won't be awful. It will be grand because I'll be in the fresh (allergen-filled and steamy) air getting exercise (and a coronary).

My basket assembly worked beautifully. The cargo net kept my backpack and lunch bag securely ensconced in the basket and the extra weight on the back of my bike didn't throw me off at all. I packed everything in my backpack in travel space bags to a) protect my clothes and electronics from wet (sweat, puddles, rain) and 2) take up less space in the backpack. Color me impressed that the buggers actually worked for item 2, well, for the clothes anyway. Vacuum sealing an ipod doesn't really do anything.

I did not wear the padded shorts and I think I'll save those for longer rides. I'm going to plug Aveeno's Hydrosport Sunblock SPF 85 and Neutrogena Sport Face Sunblock SPF 70. They are da bomb, as the kids used to say. The Hydrosport is a little sticky -- I caught several bugs on my arms -- but it doesn't sweat off. The Sport Face is NOT sticky and doesn't budge after it dries. I love not having sunblock sweat into my eyes and mouth.

My next project is going to be figuring out some way to air dry my underthings without offending office mates. My shirt and capris are on a hanger and the unmentionables are hidden under my desk. Maybe some strategically placed cup hooks and clothesline...

No comments:

Post a Comment