Monday, August 22, 2011

I do not think that word means what you think it means

When Scott got home from his afternoon activities on Sunday, I talked him into a "short" bike ride with me. I've decided that my favorite time to be on the W&OD is after 5pm on the weekends. Most of the families with dogs, the Lance Armstrong wannabes, and the dawdlers have finished their excursions and the trail is mostly clear. We rode up to Carolina Bros BBQ at Ashburn road (5 miles) and took a break. After I caught a second wind, we hopped back on the bikes and headed for Leesburg. We got into the city limits and rode until mile post 32.5 where we turned around and headed back to Carolina Bros for another break.

We were just past Loudoun County parkway (about mile 17) when my legs decided they'd had enough. I fought through the wall and pushed myself over Rte 28, under Church, and into our neighborhood. My legs felt like jelly and I was huffing and puffing, but I did it. And we did it really fast, for us anyway. According to my tracker, we rode 20 miles in an hour-forty, averaging 12 mph. I need more training, though, before the Backroads Century next month. We're biking the 30 mile "extended quarter century" this time. I bet we're up to a full century by next year. Or at least the metric century.

No comments:

Post a Comment