Monday, September 19, 2011

Not ready for actual traffic

I felt so good when I got up this morning, I decided to bike to work. I averaged 12.9 mph on the 4.7 miles in. It was awesome. I had so much speed (and so much weight thanks to my heavier clothes, shoes, and laptop) when I crested Rte 28 that I was able to coast all the way to the entrance for the W&OD parking lot, a distance of a third of a mile. Heh heh heh.

Scott and I decided to meet at his gym after work. It's the same distance from my office to his gym via the trail & Pacific Blvd as it is from the office to home but it's only 3.27 miles if I brave the traffic on Waxpool. There may or may not be a footpath along the road -- I can't remember -- and the shoulders are dicey. The traffic is pretty crazy and I have rarely seen cyclists on Waxpool. I'm talking a handful in the eleven years I've been driving that route.

So... I lost my nerve and took the longer and presumably safer route and wound up breaking this morning's speed record: 13.1 mph. RAWR. And the best part? Even though we left our respective origination points at the same time, I got to the gym first. Heh heh heh. Of course, I was too limp and noodly from soaking in the hot tub that I loaded Rose into the truck and let Scott drive me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment