Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Scary

It's frightening how quickly the strength goes when one hasn't been on the bike in a couple of weeks. This morning's commute (first bikey one in exactly two weeks) was not the worst ride ever, but it certainly wasn't the best. My legs were cranky, my back was cranky, and my tush must've lost its bike callouses. It must be pretty horrible for those folks who put away the bike at the end of fall and don't pull it back out until spring.

In happier news, the bonus and tax refund fairies have graced my bank account and it's time for the Dolce to come to mama. You don't need to be Carnac the Magnificent to see that I'll be hitting my favorite bike shop in the very near future. I want to splurge on a Dutch bike so badly, but I can't blow all my fun money on bikes. Mama also needs a couple of new kitchen appliances and to finish the basement remodel so she has a fridge that doesn't leak and a place that isn't the dining room to store the stable of bikes. The correct ratio of person to bikes is n+infinity, right?

6 comments:

  1. hahahaha. I wish. My apartment is so small, I've only got space for the one. I think I've done pretty well for myself though, especially for commuting - I've got a folding bike. I can still kill it on the way to/from work though with the full-size wheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty sweet. I didn't know there were folding bikes other than the Brompton.

      Delete
  2. Yay for new bikes! It get's difficult (at least for me) to make decisions sometimes on what is needed and what items are simply something I want (sometimes they fall into both categories, but usually just one). I think I've finally decided that maybe I just don't live in the kind of area or have proper terrain for Dutch style bikes (not that it will stop me from trying if I find the right deal). I hope that your shopping trip goes well and that we're reading about a new ride soon. :O) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... it's not nearly as hilly here as it is in your neck o' the woods but the occasionally realistic side of myself keeps poking at me that a Dutch, city, or cruiser wouldn't be my best choice. I did make lots of virtual grabby hands at the pictures of your Bella Ciao... And Electra isn't helping by making THIS. (The irony of my poking at Charlene about her skulls and then falling for this bike is not lost on me.)

      Delete
    2. Funny enough, I actually saw that very same bike in a Boulder shop a few months ago and was extremely (EXTREMELY) tempted by it. I think the only thing that prevented an immediate purchase is that little nagging voice that knows it's not an ideal choice for this area. Still, it is incredibly adorable (the photo doesn't do it justice at all), so I don't blame you for wanting it. I really loved my Electra Cruiser (and Amsterdam), but I think the reality of wanting to go a bit faster sometimes makes those bikes a difficult decision. Not that I'm flying all around on any bike, but a bit faster is nice. The BC is gorgeous... and fun to ride also. I hope that eventually she goes to a good home so that she is not just sitting around gathering dust. That is my one rule with bikes - if they don't get ridden, then out they must go.

      Delete
  3. It is indeed. I'm not quite crawling out of my skin with excitement, but I'm pretty darn close. I tend to go to extremes. :)

    And wow, I had no idea that folding bikes were so sturdy! That's quite an endorsement.

    ReplyDelete