Friday, May 31, 2013

And we're back

OMG. It's been a spring for the record books. Let's have a quick little run-down, shall we?

March: Bariatric surgery for me. No cycling for a month thanks to an overzealous husband who looked out for my "best interests". Of course, I had no energy for riding much farther than a couple of miles.

April: Still no energy, which meant that I did not participate in Paul's Ride for Life. I took Lily the hybrid and Beatrix the loop-frame to the bike shop for a check up in hopes that I'd be cycling again.

May: Brain surgery for husband. (The MRI ordered by his audiologist in April showed a mass, and three weeks later he was in the OR having a rock the size of a tennis ball removed from his head.) I spent the first half of the month driving 60 miles round trip to keep him company in various hospitals and the second half working at home so that I could keep an eye on him.

I did participate in Bike to Work Day on May 17 even though it felt like a cheat. I mean, I'd already registered and I did sort of ride to work; I just happened to be working from home... Nice swag, though. I loved this year's t-shirt and water bottle color. The Sterling/Orbital stop also had reflective wrist bands with LEDs. Sweet for night time hand signals.

Pretty Bea seemed a little bit out of place amongst the road bikes.
This week I made a couple of shopping trips via bicycle and they haven't wiped me out. Of course, the grocery store is only 1.5 miles away.

Sunday is the National Capital Area's Tour de Cure and I'm nervous about it. I'm riding the 14 mile route from Reston to Vienna and back with a girlfriend and I just don't know if I'll be able to do it. Scott thinks that the excitement surrounding the event will pump up my stamina. I think that the heat and humidity will crush it back down. It's not a race, it's not a race, it's not a race... And if I have to turn around early, that's okay.

Here's hoping my stamina improves so I can get back on the trail and roads before too much longer. I'm itching to feel the wind in my face and bugs in my teeth. Okay, maybe not so much with the bugs, but there are a lot of cicadas out there...


  1. Wow! It has been an eventful spring for both of you. I hope that your husband is doing better. It must've been scary to hear that he had a mass that needed to be removed... on top of it, you were recovering from your own surgery! I hope that you've been showered with love by those close by and that they're all keeping a good eye on both of you.

    Good luck on your upcoming ride. I think it's a great idea to remind yourself that it's not a race and you can always stop if need be. I know how difficult that can be to actually do, but just listen to your body and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

    1. He is doing incredibly well, thank you. He tires out pretty easily and is still on short term disability, but will probably go back to work on a limited basis in a few weeks. We're both amazed and relieved by his progress. Friends and family have been supportive and so kind. We truly are blessed.

      Yesterday's ride went surprisingly well. I'll write up an entry about it, but long story short: I took my time, rode the entire 14-mile route, bounced around with crazy amounts of adrenaline for an hour afterwards, and then crashed and slept like a hibernating bear. It was great! :)

  2. Oh wow, what a series of events you both experienced! That must have been a fright. It sounds like you are both on the mend, blessings for both of you. So glad to hear that your ride went well, your spirit, if nothing else, carried the day! Stay well and heal quickly. On a happy note, your Bea bicycle is gorgeous, a rose among thorns.

  3. Hi! Hope you are doing well and continuing to recover.

    Thanks for the reviews of the Public. They were very helpful in the process of shopping for my first "real" bike. The fine folks at District Hardware put together a lovely C7 for me, and I couldn't be happier.