Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back in the saddle again (again)

I pulled my repaired bike and repaired self back out yesterday morning and ran the morning errands by bike with Scott. My bike and I performed very well, I am happy to report. After cleaning ourselves up, we ran a few more errands by car and then took off for Annapolis to celebrate our twin nieces' birthday. A grand time was had by all.

We pulled the bikes back out again this morning and headed towards Herndon along the W&OD. We took a break at Elden Street, the three mile mark, and swigged Gatorade while trying to decide whether we should continue on or turn around. I voted for continuing into the unknown. Okay, it's not entirely unknown, but it's been about ten years since I've ridden to Reston and I don't remember what things are like along the trail.

Things are tough along that part of the trail, that's what things are like. Lots of stops for lights and then lots of steep inclines for overpasses. Oof. I was literally panting for breath by the time we got to the top of the Town Center Parkway overpass in Reston. I was just about done and we had four-and-a-half, thankfully mostly downhill, miles to ride to get back home in the stinking heat. The breeze we caught while coasting downhill helped revive me, but the hills were getting harder and harder to climb. After one last break at a lone picnic table in a stand of pine trees between Herndon Parkway and Crestview, we pushed for home and rode up just as T was walking to our house to spend the afternoon in the pool with me. Excellent timing!

I must give a shout out to A-M for recommending Buff Headbands. Mine arrived from Sahalie.com yesterday and I was honestly surprised by how cool it kept my sweaty head under my helmet. I could actually feel the breeze through the vent holes as the fabric wicked away sweat. I am one super happy customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment