Monday, November 21, 2011

A week of not riding

All driving and no cycling makes Melanie Suzanne a cranky girl. I was too worn out by the weekend's activities to ride to work Monday. Then the weather on Tuesday kept me off the bike. It's not that I'm afraid I'll melt in the drizzle and rain; I'm terrified of crashing because of wet pavement. I've mentioned the ramp of the western side of the Route 28 overpass as being pretty darn steep. It's steep enough that I could not consistently ride up until a little over a month ago. It's steep enough that I can coast for 1/3 of a mile from the base (unless there's a 20mph headwind). I also have a pretty steep hill leaving my neighborhood that has me riding the brakes every day, but that's mostly because I want to be ready when a car invariably backs out of its parking spot and into the drive lane. I'm also pretty accident prone; luckily, only one crash has put me in the ER.

Oh yeah, I was writing a litany of why I didn't bike. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday all had dental and hair appointments which were not easily or safely accessible via bike. Okay, one hair appointment, one teeth cleaning, and one braces-tightening (ouch) which, unfortunately, could not all be stacked on the same day. And the weather was SO GOOD, too. Saturday was an SCA event and Sunday was a Cirque du Soliel show. A whole week of not biking. And this week doesn't look much better what with our trip to my aunt's cabin in the Great Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. Her cabin is in a fantastically picturesque area with rutted gravel roads and one paved road with no shoulders and sharp drop-offs. Did you see the part above about accident prone? Yeah...

However, I am carrying my Schwinn cruiser (and helmet and accessories) to the mountains to give to my sister. I might sneak out for a quick ride and see if the roads really are that treacherous. Hopefully, the closest emergency room isn't two hours away in Asheville or Chattanooga.

No comments:

Post a Comment