Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Still here

Nothing particularly bikey is happening at the moment. I may go riding with a friend in the park near the Junction of the W&OD and the Custis trails on Saturday. According to Google maps there are a number of intersecting trails in that area and it's someplace that I haven't ridden through dozens of times. Plus, there are trees. That will be good if the day is hot and sunny. (If. Heh.)

My bike club is riding from the Herndon depot to the Vienna depot and back tonight. I wanted to participate, but not badly enough to risk heat exhaustion. I may brag to my friends that my thin southern blood helps me deal with the oppressive heat and humidity. However my southern brain knows that the best way to deal with the aforementioned heat and humidity is by laying low and not moving much.

Just because I talk slow don't mean I'm stupid.

(Yes, I know that's grammatically incorrect.)

Egad, I cannot wait for autumn. I am definitely a cool/cold weather rider.

In other news, I'm in the market for a new bike rack. I traded in the gas-guzzling Highlander for a gas-sipping Turbo Beetle. Well, it'd be gas-sipping if I weren't driving like a Formula 1 racer. It'll be a sipper on the next tank of gas. Anyway, there's no tow hitch, nor will there be, on the new car but I still want to haul bicycles. The Saris Bones 2-Bike is en route and will, hopefully, do the trick. There's a pretty significant spoiler on my trunk but I think the arch will fit over it. If not, the carrier will definitely fit on Scott's car and that'll be our bike-hauling vehicle.

3 comments:

  1. I had a turbo Beetle several years ago and I drove it like I stole it, admittedly. As much as I love riding (and generally prefer it over driving these days), I had so much fun in that car. Unfortunately, it was conducive for hauling around large dogs (believe me, I tried). With one, I am sure we would've survived, but with multiples, it's challenging.

    Anyway, I don't blame you for staying out of the heat. I'm getting ready to go for a ride now because I really don't have a choice... it will either be brutally hot, or I'll be riding in a rain storm (as both are forecasted for the day).

    Have a good one (and stay cool)! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drove it like you stole it! I love that. Yes, that totally describes what I'm doing. It is ~SO~ zippy and fun. And yeah, if we had dogs or kids, it would completely impractical. It's good to be a DINK. =)

      Take it easy out there. :)

      Delete
    2. Glad you got what I meant... just re-read that and should've said 'wasn't' rather than 'was' conducive. :O) Happy to hear you're enjoying it!

      Delete