Monday, August 20, 2012

A break

There's been a break in the oppressive heat here in northern Virginia and I took advantage of that blessing by getting in a few miles in the saddle. Saturday was the quintessentially perfect summer day and, after we'd finished cleaning the house, I hopped on Lily the hybrid and did a spin around the neighborhood and a quick grocery shop. The number (and diversity) of cyclists on the roads made my heart leap with joy. There were lots of kids along the quiet neighborhood streets and a few other cyclists who were carting shopping or laundry bags. We smiled and waved to one another and all felt right with the world. Even car traffic was patient and considerate. Like I said: perfect day.

The mileage though -- all three miles of it -- just about killed me. Oof. So out of shape. I  hopped back on for a quick jaunt on Sunday and, happily, those four miles didn't quite kill me. And despite today's oppressive humidity, I rode to work -- I'd have to look in the archives to see when I last did that :/ -- and the five miles absolutely did not kill me. Again, car traffic was patient and considerate. I'm actually sort of looking forward to the uphill ride back home.

Not much new about Beatrix the C8 as I haven't really been in the mood to ride her. I have to tell myself that this is okay and there's no need to feel guilty. She fills a certain niche, just like the Dolce and the cruiser do, and that niche isn't in use at the moment. She's too pretty and stylish to languish for long and I'm sure I'll be champing at the bit to put her rubber to the road.

4 comments:

  1. I've definitely had those days where even a few miles seem impossible. I think having patience with ourselves is so important.

    As for the C8, I agree with you - it doesn't have to be something ridden on a daily basis. I know I don't always ride my Public, but it's so nice to know it's there when needed/wanted. I don't think there should be any guilt about not riding a particular bike for a bit of time.

    Hope the day is going great! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the guilt comes from having so much while others have so little. But that's a whole other can of worms which doesn't belong a light-hearted bike blog. :)

      I had a great day, thanks! I even got to ride home in a pop-up rainstorm which was actually pretty fun.

      Delete
  2. Niche bikes are good - a bike for each mood and purpose. :)

    The heat has broken in Chicago, too, at least for the time being. So nice to have a bit of a chill in the air. I'm so ready for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I cannot wait to start wearing cardigans and scarves and boots and hats again. This weekend was great for flannel PJs and hot tea.

      Delete