Friday, March 23, 2012

Stay off the moors

The incredible humidity over the past couple of days has provided spectacularly foggy mornings. Visibility in my neighborhood wasn't too bad but the W&OD was completely shrouded in the white gloom. Can gloom be white? Maybe it was more of a dingy white; that's kind of gloomy, I guess.  I couldn't see pedestrians until I was almost on top of them and other cyclists were dim shapes as we approached each other. Even my usual landmarks were hard to see.

Where's the Route 28 bridge?
Where's Pacific Blvd?
Where's the golf course?
 Believe it or not, I spotted a couple of golfers passing by on a cart. I hope they counted the fog as a substantial handicap.

Despite my fear of arachnids, I love the artistry of (small) spiderwebs. After snapping the golf course photo, I noticed this peculiar web amongst the flora. I couldn't get the right angle to actually show the funnel; it kept appearing as the black dot in the center of the web. You'll have to trust me that the web is funnel-shaped.

Funnel web!
My ride through the fog made me feel like I was in a horror movie or a fairy tale. I suppose that when you don't Disney-fy fairy tales, though, they're one and the same. Thankfully, my trusty steed carried me through to the sunny path to the campus.

3 comments:

  1. We have had similar mist in the early morning too...Makes for an interesting early morning ride.

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me. I mean "fog" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the UK. My husband -- who was born in Yorkshire and spent a few years of his childhood in southern Scotland -- assures me that the sun does shine occasionally.

      Delete
  2. But boy they could play darts. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete