Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Adjustments

Still love the new bike. Still working on a name for her. Still writing sentences without a subject.

I realized during yesterday's commutes that I'm sliding off the saddle towards the handlebar. This won't do, especially since it's exacerbating pressure on my wrists and causing my hands to go numb. Scott helped me with testing new saddle angles last night, but this morning's commute showed more fiddling is required. I think I need to raise the handlebar a skosh so I can sit just a bit more upright and not lean on my hands so much. Of course, I'm going to get everything just so and then the new saddle -- I decided upon the Selle Royal -- will arrive. What a difficult life I lead.

The other adjustment is mental. I tried not to race the other commuters going the same direction as me, and I failed. I mean, I failed at not racing: I totally flew past them, skirt billowing in the wind gust. Sigh. I could chalk it up to being overly excited that I'm no longer the only west bound commuter in the morning, but it's really because I'm too competitive for my own good. Just ask Scott about my mother's and my full-contact Scrabble games.

Huh, I just realized something. I'm only competitive on my "underdog" bikes and when I'm on the road bike, I peacefully accept that I'm going to get left in the dust.

4 comments:

  1. In your bike adjust I can help you! Actually, not me..just go to the bike shop that you purchased your bike and they'll give you a hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't purchase my bicycle in a local shop. Plus, I want to learn how to do this by myself. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Saddles are a pain in the rear (ha! no pun intended). I swear, it sometimes takes months to find just the right spot. I'm extremely impatient though when it comes to everything being perfectly aligned, so I have spent many a night riding back and forth on our short street just to keep testing very small changes. They really do make a difference too, so don't give up. :O)

    Don't be so hard on yourself about wanting to speed past people - there's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition <-- says the woman who nearly killed herself because someone was just slightly edging her out on a treadmill at the gym. I have never been athletic, coordinated, or fast, but I don't like to lose - at anything really. As family will attest, I am a very gracious winner, but an absolutely horrible loser. I say, do what you need to do... it all sorts itself out. As long as no one is getting hurt, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight's new saddle and handlebar configuration feel much better, at least my hands are happier. I feel much taller, too. :)

      I shared your comment about the treadmill with Scott and he gave me a guilty look and said, "I've done that too..." Heh heh.

      Delete