Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Finger on the trigger

I am >this< close to clicking the BUY button on Public Bikes C8 page. If I pull the trigger before the 18th, I'll get free shipping. If I do it today or tomorrow, the bike will arrive before we go to Memphis. I wouldn't want our cat sitter to have to lug a six foot long box into the house: that's what Scott is for!



The powder blue appeals to me more than the cream because I love color -- the orange is a bit too colorful -- and the bike I'm absolutely going to keep -- Circe -- is mostly white. Yes, Kate is blue but she's first on the sales chopping block. And yes, she's super fun and adorable beyond compare but she is impractical for my needs and wants. I will most likely sell Lily -- which is white -- but she might also stick around. Scott doesn't think I'll be able to let her go even if she and the C8 fill a similar niche. I mean, it's not like I'm going to take up mountain biking. I'll most likely wind up with broken bones rather than skinned knees! But... well, we'll see what happens with the hybrid.

Mmm... loop frame...

6 comments:

  1. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT <---Chanting aloud

    Okay, I am definitely not one who should be telling you to go for it, but I honestly think you'll be happy with the decision. Of course, I need to enroll in some kind of B.A. {bicycle anonymous} program, so maybe you should do the opposite of what I think. :O)

    For what it's worth, I think I am over the whole getting rid of one bike to have another... if I ride them all, then they can all stay {and if I can afford to keep them all... well, and if I have a place to store them}. I've gotten rid of too many bikes that I wish I had now, and never got what they are worth out of them. Of course, that's just been my experience... and again, I have issues with coming across something else that seems to be a great match. Right at the moment, I'm eyeballing this - and I absolutely do NOT need it. I just can't seem to help myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! I was all set to buy and then realized they don't take Discover. I'll have to pull the trigger tonight. ;) If Public didn't have such a good return policy, I'd be MUCH less tempted.

      Storage will be an issue if I don't weed out the collection. My kingdom for a garage! Oh! We could always get one of those little outbuilding thingies from a home improvement place. Or instead of turning the basement into an inviting den, we make that the bike shop. Certainly would cost a lot less for furniture. Hrm...

      Oh my, that Mercian is pretty and looks like it's in good shape. There's no harm in cruising Craigslist... :)

      Delete
    2. I take back what I said about cruising Craigslist as there are a couple of vintage Raleighs I'm now salivating over.

      Delete
  2. They are adorable bikes, but do ask about this recall:
    http://bit.ly/L61LW3
    Here's what the CPSC had on its site:
    http://bit.ly/HWvUCE
    And while I couldn't find current mention of it on Public's site, they have an extensive FAQ and their 'Contact Us' page isn't hidden (on some web sites, you need a search warrant and the CIS Team to find contact info!)

    All that said, I know how it is. Bikes are catnip to me. I cannot walk past a bike shop window without coming to a dead stop, often muttering "Ooh, shiny!" That's how I have a total of 4 bikes now. One has to go. I don't know how to break it to the cute little Bianchi, but the words will come in time.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! Public has a link to the recall on their main page, but the link stated 2010-2011 bike models. I didn't realize the recall affected 2012 models as well. I'll be sure to check if mine are affected.

      Delete
  3. Saaa-weeet!!!! I love the powder blue. The loop-frame is so romantic. I can't wait to read about your experiences on it.

    ReplyDelete