Friday, June 15, 2012

More commuters

I saw another bike commuter leaving the campus on Wednesday and he was in normal work clothes. My heart sang. I passed a couple other commuters on Smiths Switch, and the W&OD was positively choked with cyclists. I won't grumble about that, especially when the weather is nearly perfect for being out and about on two non gas-powered wheels.

In slightly less -- or perhaps more, depending upon the point of view -- news, I very nearly got clipped by a car as I rode straight across a street and it tried to turn left. I was looking to my right to make sure I had plenty of space ahead of a van and then quickly swerved to the right to avoid the oncoming car's bumper when I faced forward again. The driver probably had a minor coronary when he realized I was there. My heart skipped a beat, but I continued on fairly unphased by the near incident. Of course, this would be one of the few times I wasn't wearing a helmet and I did consider the potential ramifications of what might have happened. If I were smart, I'd say "lesson learned"...

1 comment:

  1. Those heart skipping a beat moments are always scary. I wish drivers would be more careful!

    ReplyDelete